Letting a property is about far more than just finding tenants.

Information for Landlords

We pride ourselves on how we manage our client’s properties and certainly a good start is by finding the right Tenant who will look after your investment. However, we do expect a lot from our landlords especially when maintenance is required on your property.

Find out about landlord responsibilities here.

Our responsibility is to find you the right tenants that best suit your property, make the letting process as smooth as possible, and create a long term, positive relationship with tenants who are loyal, pay their rent on time and keep your property in good condition.

For your peace of mind, we display the CMP logo to show that we are independently regulated and must meet qualification standards and adhere to a Code of Conduct. This involves continuous professional development that keeps us abreast of all the latest legislation and compliance.

We offer a range of services from Tenant find only to our Premium Management Service which includes Rent Protection. Where possible we are also happy to discuss a more tailor-made option that suits your individual needs.

Tenancies are a partnership so a well-maintained property will keep the Tenant happy and, in our experience, a Happy Tenant is a paying Tenant.

Mortgage Advice for Buyers

Property Management Fees

We have a reputation for being transparent in how we manage our properties, and this is reflected in the way we lay out our fees.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Providing peace of mind.

Additional services can be found on our Landlords Fee List.



Frequently Asked Questions about letting a property are answered here.

Why should I use a managing agent?

Choosing one of our fully managed services allows you to take a back seat and relax on this journey. You’ll never have to worry about your property, it’s going to be well cared for. It creates a professional distance between you and the tenancy/tenant(s), therefore avoiding dealing with all the bad bits like rent arrears and deposit disputes.

How do I know what rent to charge?

Ask Stevens & Carter Lettings to value your property, we use our in-depth knowledge of the local property market along with our expertise to obtain realistic achievable rental value.

How much will it cost me to let my property?

Here at Stevens & Carter, we have three levels of service: Tenant Find Only, Fully (standard) managed and Premium Managed. Each of these services involves a varied level of services. Please see our fees section for costs.

How do I receive my rental income from my letting agent?

Whether you are on our Fully (standard) Managed or Premium managed service, we request that tenants pay their rent by Standing order. We then transfer this money minus our commission and any other associated expenses on account via bacs payment. A statement will be sent either via the postal system or emailed to you. However, you are more than welcome to use our landlord’s platform to download statements.

Do landlords need to pay tax on their rental income?

All landlords are liable to pay tax on their rental income regardless of where they live, i.e. overseas or UK based. Information can be found on the government website.

Can I or a third party contractor enter the property during the tenancy?

Suitable notice needs to be given to the tenant before entering the property.

What is an Inventory and Why do I need one?

An Inventory/Schedule of Condition is a very detailed list of the contents and condition of your property that is taken just before a tenant moves into the property. This is very important if a dispute arises over damages at the end of a tenancy. Proof is needed of the original condition to compare it to a check out inspection.

What if a tenant damages the property?

The tenant would have to either pay for the damages themselves or quote(s) are obtained and the cost of the works to be deducted from the tenant’s deposit. It is our job to differentiate damage from fair wear and tear, as this should be allowed for.

What is an inspection?

Inspections are part of our managed services. These visits ensure that the property is being looked after, and to check for any potential maintenance issues.

Who will pay for the utilities at the property?

Utilities will usually be paid for by the tenant(s) unless otherwise stated in their tenancy agreement. We inform utility providers of meter readings when tenants move in & out of properties. Please note that we do not inform telecom or television services, as this is normally subscription-based contracts.

Do I need a Landlords Gas safey certificate, EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) or an EPC

An EPC Is required when marketing a property but please note that a report will last for 10 years and one can be arranged through ourselves at cost. A Landlord’s GSC (Gas Safety Certificate) is a record that ensures all gas appliances and associated equipment at the property are in good order and safe to use. This must be carried out by a qualified Gas Safe Registered engineer. A new GSC is needed every 12 months. An EICR is needed to comply with new regulations and this report last for 5 years.

What is Right to Rent?

The government Right to Rents scheme helps us make sure that people renting a property in the UK have the legal right to reside in the UK. Please note that this is a mandatory check for all agents. This check is carried out as part of our referencing checks, but if a landlord decides to carry out their own checks they will need to obtain acceptable proof of residency as failure to do so will result in potential fines.

What is Client Money Protection (CMP) & The Property Redress Scheme (PRS)

Client Money Protection (CMP) is a scheme that provides/protects tenants and landlords from the misappropriation of client monies by an agent. The Property Redress Scheme (PRS) provides impartial dispute resolution between us and members of the public. Both schemes are now mandatory for all Lettings agents.

Landlord Responsibilities

You’re a landlord if you rent out your property. As a landlord you must:

  • keep your rented properties safe and free from health hazards
  • make sure all gas equipment and electrical equipment is safely installed and maintained
  • provide an Energy Performance Certificate for the property
  • protect your tenant’s deposit in a government-approved scheme
  • check your tenant has the right to rent your property if it’s in England
  • give your tenant a copy of the How to rent checklist when they start renting from you (you can email it to them)

Useful Links

Free, No Obligation

Rental Property Valuation

Stevens & Carter Letting Agents offer a free no obligation property valuation/market appraisal service for residential lettings. Simply complete the form below and one of our expert staff will contact you promptly to arrange a convenient appointment.

If you wish to request a Residential Sales Property Valuation, click here.

5 + 4 =

Total Loss Client Money Protection for Landlords and Tenants -  CMP Certified

Client Money Protection

Client Money Protection (CMP) is a scheme that provides/protects tenants and landlords from the misappropriation of client monies by an agent.

Property Redress Scheme Certificate

Property Redress Scheme

The Property Redress Scheme (PRS) provides impartial dispute resolution between us and members of the public. Both schemes are now mandatory for all Lettings agents.